AT CATCH THE FIRE BRANDON, WE’VE MADE SOME DECISIONS THAT CLARIFY OUR GOALS AS A COMMUNITY, AND THEY ARE LISTED BELOW.
Please note, we are deeply concerned that you understand their context: These decisions are not and never were a reaction to anything but the state of our hearts and the reality of our faith. They are in absolutely no way a criticism of any church or denominational movement. Please don’t misuse these decisions as weapons towards others. We are in this battle for high ground together: one Church, one Bride, and one Body.
In Ephesians 3:19, Paul implores us to increase our perception of God’s love, letting it expand from head knowledge to the place of becoming the culture in which we live our lives on a daily basis. Those two levels also describe our process of commitment to these decisions. We would probably have said they were true from the beginning of our ministry. Now, however, they are points of contention, foundational truths without which we are not willing to live; a journey, not a destination. In II Samuel 6, as David leads the return of the Ark of the Covenant, there is both celebration and sacrifice; and so it is with these commitments. As we are heeding the ever-increasing call to clear a path for the Manifest Presence and Glory of God, these decisions have each taken a piece out of our hearts and lives, and given us something priceless in return.
These are not arrogant proclamations of our accomplishments. We continue to comprehend the high cost and great value of each declaration of purpose.
AS FOLLOWERS OF CHRIST WE ARE COMMITTED TO LIVING AN AUTHENTIC EXPRESSION OF THE LIFE AND PERSON OF JESUS CHRIST.
"Here are the Decisions that Define Us:"
- We have decided that teaching the Gospel without demonstrating the Gospel is not enough. Good preaching, good doctrine, and being good people is not enough.
- We have decided that having a good church club is not enough, good fellowship is not enough, and just being a member of that club is not enough.
- We have decided that having good Bible studies is good, but not good enough, that just making it to heaven is not our goal, and that knowing about God without truly knowing and experiencing God is meaningless.
- We have decided that having good programs is not enough; that change without transformation is intolerable, and that staying the same is not an option.
- We have decided that gifting without character is futile.
- We have decided that singing songs without worshiping is shallow and having meetings without God showing up is pointless.
- We have decided that having faith without works is not enough and having works without love is not acceptable – that our function comes out of our relationship first with the Father and second with each other.
- We have decided that reading about the book of Acts without living the book of Acts is unthinkable.
- We have decided that confident faith is good and bold faith is better.
- We have decided that hearing about the Holy Spirit without experiencing Him is silly, that believing in His presence without seeing it manifested in signs and wonders is hypocrisy, that believing in healing without seeing people healed is absurd, and that believing in deliverance without people being delivered is absolutely ridiculous.
- We have decided to be Holy Spirit filled, Holy Spirit led, and Holy Spirit empowered – anything less doesn’t work for us.
- We have decided to be the ones telling the stories of God’s power – not the ones hearing about them.
- We have decided that living saved, but not supernatural is living below our privilege and short of what Christ died for.
- We have decided that we are a battle ship not a cruise ship, an army, not an audience; Special forces not spectators, missionaries not club members.
- We have decided to value both pioneers and settlers – pioneers to expand our territory and settlers to build on those territories – but we are not squatters – people who take up space others have fought for without improving it.
- We have decided to be infectious instead of innocuous, contagious instead of quarantined, deadly instead of benign.
- We have decided to be radical lovers and outrageous givers.
- We have decided that we are a mission station and not a museum
- We have decided that it is better to fail while reaching for the impossible that God has planned for us than succeed settling for less.
- We have decided that nothing short of His Kingdom come, His will be done in our world as it is in Heaven will satisfy.
- We have decided that we will not be satisfied until our world freaks out and cries out “Those who have turned the world upside down have come here too.”
- We honour the past – we don’t live in it.
- We live in the present with our eyes on the future.
- We see past events – successes and failures – as stepping-stones not stop signs.
- We pursue learning in order to be transformed, not learning in order to know.
- We are people of engagement not observation.
- We focus on what could be, not on what is or has been.
- We are not limited to the four walls of this building. Our influence is not restricted by location – not even the nations are out of bounds.
- We are more concerned about how many we send out into the world than how many we convince to come into the building. This building is meant to be filled and it will be – but it will not be the measure of who we are or the measure of our effectiveness.
- We raise up world changers – not tour guides. We train commandos, not committees.
- We are a people of our destiny, not of our history.
These decisions come from the heart of our journey in experiencing all that God has for us as we have engaged our journey with Him. We do not believe that we have arrived but we do believe that by employing these values in our lives we are embracing and embarking on the same journey that the fathers of our faith took as they pursued a relational faith with a living and real God.
We believe that as we embrace and engage these beliefs in our lives and teach them to our children and our children's children we will ultimately succeed in impacting and transforming our communities and making our world a better place where everyone of us can succeed in the dreams and passions that live in our hearts.
It is a path that will impact the world we live in today. It is a path of Bold Faith – believing that what God says is really true and acting on it; Outrageous Generosity – giving our life away in order to demonstrate His Kingdom; Radical Love – loving God with everything in us and our neighbour as ourselves.
It is a path of liberty, freedom, and healing. On this path you find significance, purpose, and destiny as you discover the dream of God that lies within you. This is a path less traveled – however – it is not a path only available to a select few – but to whosoever will – may come.
It is for people of every nation, tribe and tongue -for those in any occupation or vocation. No matter where you are in your life journey – there is room on this path for you